What to do About Wage Theft

Wage theft is the illegal underpayment or non-payment of wages owed to workers. When you don’t receive all the wages you have earned the first step is to bring it to your employer’s attention, as hopefully it was only a mistake. However, if it turns out you’re a victim of wage theft, unlawful deductions, shorted hours, or more, you have rights.

Regardless of your immigration status, if you worked in New York State and were not paid for those hours you can file a claim with the NYS Department of Labor for unpaid wages.  

There are also ways to make sure that you are keeping proof of informal, day labor or piece work so that you can recover wages if you are not paid.

To learn more about your rights with respect to unpaid wages contact:

  •  Catholic Charities Bronx Center Day Laborers Program  
    402 East 152nd Street
    Dial: (212) 419-3704

  • St. Jerome H.A.N.D.S. Community Center
    330 E. 138th St. Bronx, NY 10454
    Dial: (718) 402-7866  OR (718) 665 5875

  • Don Bosco Community Center
    22 Don Bosco Pl, Port Chester NY 10573
    Dial: 914-939-0323 x11  OR 914-939-3490

  • Catholic Charities Yonkers Day Laborers Program
    204 Hawthorne Ave Yonkers, NY  10705
    Dial: (914) 476-2700
  • Work Place Fairness
  • Chinese Staff and Workers Association

Supporting Immigrant Workers