Top 4 Ways to Help Separated Immigrant Children in New York

Posted on July 2, 2018 by Catholic Charities Admin  |  Share

How You Can Help

Thousands of immigrant children seperated their families are now searching for one another. Many of these children were sent to New York and placed in temporary care while their parents were placed in federal custody in other parts of the country. Catholic Charities is meeting with these children and working to represent them and help reunite them with their families.

We are grateful for your support and desire to help Catholic Charities. These children are being housed in safe residences and we are providing counseling, education and legal services.

Here's how you can help:

1. Donate to Support Immigrants and Refugees

With the generous support of donors like you, we are able to:

  • provide legal orientation to separated and unaccompanied children,
  • reunite immigrant children with their families,
  • provide refugees and asylees with employment and resettlement support, and more.

Donate Now 

2. Donate Your Time

Pro Bono Legal Services: We are in need of lawyers and law firms to assist us in our pro bono legal efforts.

Volunteer with Immigrants: We are also looking for volunteers to help us in a non-legal capacity with:

  • Interpretation Services
  • Translation
  • ESOL Classes and Language Partners
  • Immigration Intake Clinics

 Please sign up here 

3. In-Kind Donations

While monetary donations are best - they allow programs to secure items that meet each individual child's needs - Catholic Charities generally accepts new donations for:

  • Toys
  • Coats and clothes
  • Baby clothes, strollers, diapers
  • Toiletries
  • School supplies, graphing calculators, backpacks
  • Household appliances, air mattresses, office furniture

To donate, please contact Lakisha Morris at

Catholic Guardian Services is also accepting donations for tickets to events. Some ideas include: museums, shows, soccer games, sporting events, Statue of Liberty and Ellis island, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Aquarium, boat cruises around NY harbor.

Donations must include a minimum of 30 tickets. To donate tickets, please contact Margaret Rodriguez at (212) 371-1011, ext. 2301 or

4. Foster a Child

If you are interested in fostering an unaccompanied child, Catholic Guardian Services is accepting applications. However, the applicant must live in the Bronx and must be fluent in Spanish. Applicants will go through the normal licensing program and will be in the program to serve all unaccompanied children, not only separated children. If you are interested and meet these criteria, please email

Many other children are in need of a safe and loving foster home. If you are interested in learning more, please contact our other agencies:

Thank you!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us at

Catholic Charities is responding to the needs of our neighbors during the 
COVID-19 pandemic.

For Help Call 888-744-7900